I've been sewing for as long as I can remember. Being born in Paterson, NJ, which was then the Silk City of the US, there is no way you don't sew. You're surrounded by fabric dye houses, clothing factories and many of the people you know work in that industry. As a kid, my Mom, Edith, would make my clothes and I would use the scraps to hand sew clothes for my dolls. As a young adult, I went with Edith every Wednesday to "Sewing Night" at Aunt Gloria's where all the sisters (there was nine total) and some cousins would go and help each other with their projects. I learned a ton from my Aunts, some of whom were sewing in the clothing factories. By that time, I was making all my own clothes.
I stopped sewing as the pressures of a corporate carreer took priority but, I still made the matching "this and that" that made my house a home.
When I got Angelo, I wanted cute outfits, great carriers, and all the things a "Spoiled Dog Owner" wanted for their fur-baby. I got frustrated by having to put his harness over or under an outfit. It looked terrible. I could imagine the clothes I wanted for him but couldn't find them. And the carriers! I was collecting a shelf full of ones that I thought I would love that were expensive but didn't work like I wanted.
Spoiled Dog Designs brought me back to my roots, lets me use my creativity and gives me the chance to build a better mouse trap....well at least one that works for me and hopefully works for you.
Since our founding, we have had the opportunity to do many exciting projects including making the outfits for the dogs getting married on the National Geographic Taboo Series, Muttrimony, had entries in Le Chien, the Dog Fashion Show that kicks off Palm Springs Fashion Week, and did the entire Dog Days of Birmingham Fashion Show during Birmingham Fashion Week.
1. To make and sell items that fit well, are completely functional and are comfortable for your dog while being creative and have great style. We want your dog to look and feel great in our designs.
2. When we choose products made by other manufacturers, we strive to choose items made in the USA with our standard of quality. We sample or use all new products to make sure it does what it claims to do before we offer it to you. And that enables us to give you better instructions about the product. If you have questions about any products, email us or ask us on Facebook, we're always glad to share what we know.
3. To fit all dogs, no matter what breed, size, or 'figure". We created a size chart for the basic sizes. If your dog does not fit into these ranges, or has a special figure, no problem, we'll make the item just for him/her. We built a feature on our product pages where you can add your dog's measurements so we can make the item just to fit your dog. We take the fit worry out of ordering.
4. To do special orders for you. Need a wedding dress, a lifeguard outfit, a Coast Guard Uniform? We love doing these assignments for you. Just email us and we'll be happy to create for you.
5. To share our information and welcome you to do the same.
6. To support efforts for adoption, rescue, spay, and neutering of pets.
7. To laugh and have fun....afterall a Chihuahua in a Sombrero does light up your day!
8. Last but far from least, to End Dog Nudity!
Edith moved to Palm Springs from the Catskill Mountains in New York to live with me and brought her 50 yr old Singer sewing machine with her. She started immediately sewing blankets, quilts (she was still quilting by hand), bandanas, slings and coats. She sewed until March of 2012 when she broke her hip at 94. She passed on in November 2012 but I'm not ready to remove her from this page. Please bear with me.
Angelo, a Chihuahua, was born in Puerto Vallarta, Mex. and came to the United States at 5 weeks old. He is 6 pounds and a perfect size small. He is our fit model for all boys clothes. You will see him modeling all over the website and on runways at fashion shows from Palm Springs to Birmingham. He attends trade shows with me and is in charge of selecting the treats that we sell. He loves his work!
Bella, a Chihuahua, was adopted from the Pet Rescue Center in Coachella, CA. She gets to model for website pictures and try on all our prototypes. She does runway work also and was the bride in the finale of the Birmingham show. Bella loves everyone and some day will be voted Miss Congeniality.
Sophia, yes, another Chi, was rescued from the Ventura County rescue. I was a vendor at their Adopt-a-Thon and she picked me out. She wouldn't look at anyone else so at the end of the day she was not adopted. That shelter has a high kill rate so I could not leave her there. She is no longer starved and weighs 4 1/2 pounds and even with her long legs, is a perfect XSmall. So she is the fit model for our girls' clothes and models for the website. She loves being a Super Model and loves looking at pictures of herself.
Bruno, my fourth Chi, (They say Chi's are like Potato Chips, you can't have just one!) came to us as a foster dog. Now, who was I kidding? Me, a Foster Parent? I've since learned the name for people like me is "Foster Failure". He's sweet, loving, cuddly, so no surprise, he's now part of the family. He's just started to model but still is not totally confident. Please bear with him as he gains confidence. It's written into his adoption papers...."must wear clothes".
As for me, Patt, I do the designs, fabric and trim selection, the hand finishing and hand trim work that I can do at night. I sewed in the beginning but the more I do shows and work on the website, the less I sew.
We have a small team of seamstresses who turn my ideas and sketches into the fabulous products you see on our pages. They are very talented and I am blessed that they walked into my life.
Our items are cut one at a time, sewn here in Palm Springs by our little team and finished by hand by me so you may see minor differences in trim from the pictures.
We have a permanent space at two local shows and do a number of other shows/festivals/ fairs during the year in California and Nevada. We announce on our Facebook page any special shows we're doing. Hopefully one will be in your area.
We love getting your comments, ideas and input as to what you like, need, and how we can make things better for you and your dog. Feel free to comment on Facebook or email us anytime.
InformationSpoiled Dog Designs
Westin Mission Hills Resorts Villas Marketplace
71333 Dinah Shore Dr, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
Monday and Wednesday 8:30 AM - 12:30 AM
College of the Desert Street Fair
Corner of Fred Waring and Monterey, Palm Desert, CA
October to May, Saturday and Sunday, 7 AM to 2 PM Lot 2, Space 225